RE: Greg on overlapping tulas

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:01:49 GMT

In message <20050520064953.WZCG10462.aamta02-winn.mailhost.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>> Here's an email from Greg about overlapping tulas that came
>> up while we were discussing something else:
>
>>>Hilltop pastures overlap, clans interpenetrate, tribes have vague
>>> borders--all the
>>>same thing. Villages know exactly their plowland, but their
>>> wastelands and pastures are sometimes shared....
>
>So the boundary stones mark ploughland, not the whole tula?

Could use different stones to mark both. I can see a third use, marking the boundaries between different bloodline's parts of the tula. Then there are the boundaries marked by natural features such as streams, ridges and so on. Why bother with the trouble of placing stones?

Thinking about it there's going to be more than a few stones separating pasture from ploughland - you need fences or walls to keep livestock from ruining your crop.

>And the influence of the clan wyter is subject to gradual fade-out
>at the edges, not a strict boundary?

I would certainly expect it to be stronger in the places most of the clan live and work. Of course if two friendly clans share a pasture the wyters may reinforce each other.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/