Boundary stones and overlapping tulas

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:57:07 -0700

>So the boundary stones mark ploughland, not the whole tula?
>And the influence of the clan wyter is subject to gradual fade-out at the
>edges, not a strict boundary?

  I think wyters can have overlapping boundaries (probably set by where the various rituals are performed and not by where the line on the map is drawn). For example, each year the Orlmarthing priests perform a ritual on the far side of Starfire Ridge (in sight of Tallstone stead), invoking the clan wyter to that place and asserting ownership of the Ridge. The Greydogs could try to do the same and perform a version of the same rite inside the lands claimed by the Orlmarthing - if successful, the Greydog and Orlmarthing tulas would overlap. Of course, the Orlmarthing of Urothfaldastead and Harranholarstead would insist that the clan fyrd disrupt such a ceremony.
 In friendlier lands, such overlap is probably really common since I doubt any Ernaldori would try to kill the Orlmarthing priests that perform rites to the clan in a place like Clearwine. Certainly the Orlmarthing do not try to kill the Anmangarn who assert shared pasture rights in the northern vale.  Jeff