Re: John's list of books

From: Jennifer Geard <geard_at_verso.org>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 14:36:41 +1200

Jeff Richard:
> Although I enjoy various translations of Beowulf, as
> literature it is more than a little inaccessible (lengthy poems are
> extremely difficult to get most people to read). Same with the Tain. The
> prose translations of Beowulf and the Tain are quite stilted, and although
> more readable, they are less intersting.

I recommend Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf. I particularly recommend the CD of Seamus Heaney reading his translation of Beowulf. Put it on in the background while doing a quiet hobby or tidying the house, and have a fine poet and storyteller open his word-hoard for you.

> The Icelandic sagas have the
> advantage in that their literary style is very approachable to a modern
> reader - and they focus on broader issues than heroic actions.

You might want to warn your players that the sagas are a bit of an acquired taste.

I had a minor revalation about oral storytelling when I read the first section of Laxaela Saga aloud in instalments at a 5-day camp. The simple change of pace made a difference. Slowing down to hear all the words -- rather than skimming to get to the next bit of plot because reading quickly is good, right? -- meant that I picked up a lot of texture and foreshadowing that I'd missed when reading to myself. There's something quite cosily communal about making and mending and cooking and cleaning while someone tells a long but familiar story. I suspect it helps steadmates get along, especially in Dark season.

Cheers,
  Jennifer, who's also keen on work songs

--
Jennifer Geard