John's books

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 18:32:35 -0700

>I recommend Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf. I particularly
recommend
>the CD of Seamus Heaney reading his translation of Beowulf. Put it on in
the
>background while doing a quiet hobby or tidying the house, and have a fine
>poet and storyteller open his word-hoard for you.
 I've got four translations of Beowulf, including the Heaney and Donaldson versions. The Heaney version does have great sound, although I find prose is always easier to read than verse. And I rarely have the time or patience to actually speak verse.

>>* The Icelandic sagas have the

*>>* advantage in that their literary style is very approachable to a modern
*>>* reader - and they focus on broader issues than heroic actions.
*>You might want to warn your players that the sagas are a bit of an
acquired
>taste.

 If they are in one of my games, they've probably been exposed pretty heavily to saga-style. I warn them about what in my opinion is the most interesting aspects of the style - the complete lack of internal character dialogue and the laconic descriptions.
 Jeff