Internal dialogue and medieval literature

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 10:02:03 -0700

Jane and I debate the relative merits of Njal's Saga versus the Asterix comics as the fundamental source of inspiration.  >Ah, maybe a difference in setting, then. Because in fact the campaign where
>we started thinking Asterix was pre-Occupation - there were Lunars
wandering
>around, but I don't think we ever met any. The whole "do an adventure, come
>home and have a feast" theme was spot on. Very young PCs, so the lack of
>thought about possible long-term consequences worked well, too.
 Because of their bloodline, my players have been caught up in tribal politics since soon after they were initiated, they were involved with the Sartar High Council and for about two years were members of Temertain's household. They are aware that everything they do has long-term consequences. Unlike many Sartar games I've seen, these players are actually becoming less inclined to make compromises as the game progresses.

>If I'd waved a Saga at them, they'd have left on the spot. Sagas are
>*boring*, and Asterix isn't.

 I think most of my players have read the sagas - and if they haven't, David Dunham's writing style is so heavily influenced by them that they might as well have. For what it is worth, I don't find the actual Asterix "stories" very interesting. Neat to look at, often quite clever, painful puns - all true, but as stories, they are more like extended SNL sketches ("Asterix and Obelix meet Cleopatra - hilarity ensues").  >>"I warn them about what in my opinion is the most
>>interesting aspects of the style - the complete lack of internal character

>>dialogue and the laconic descriptions. "
>Tastes most definitely differ. To my mind, that isn't an "interesting
>aspect", it makes the whole thing boring at best and incomprehensible at
>worst.

 Really? I find the lack of internal character dialogue to be incredibly refreshing and remarkably "realistic". However, you've got to pick and choose your sagas - Njal's, Egil's, and the Laxdaela saga are pretty accessible. Some of the others aren't.

>Good point. I think the Iliad makes it clear that it really is the
>gods/goddesses, with the heroes being separate beings, though. To get the
>same effect, you'd have to have Nameless NPC suddenly being possessed by
>Uleria or whoever, doing their bit, and then running away when they
realised
>the middle of a battlefield was a dangerous place to be.
 Really? I think Book 5 easily could be a decription of Gloranthan feats and guardians in action ("Diomedes spoke, and threw; and Pallas Athene guided the weapon... ").
 Jeff
 Jeff