Re: Imperial magic colleges

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 20:13:22 GMT

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58.0505251801170.3183_at_paju.oulu.fi> Mikko Rintasaari writes:

>How many men do you people think there are a unit of Lunar magicians?
>
>A unit of infantry (regiment, is it?) is about a thousand men, cavalry is
>either five hundread or a full thousand.
>
>What about the spellcasters? Does a mage equal 10, 25, 50 men?

MoL&D describes the Comet Seers who are a school in the CoM. They are 57 strong plus servants and guards.

I would expect other schools to have roughly similar numbers but organised differently due to their respective traditions.

>If we take the figure of 25 then a unit of magicians would have fourty
>men. These are just the actual magicians, of course. They'll need their
>assistants and their bodyguards.
>
>Does somebody have "offiscial" numbers for this? I'd also like to know
>what sorts of troops the body-guards are and how quickly do the magicians
>move when they have to. Are any of the magicians mounted (I don't mean
>they would cast their spells from horseback, but that would mean they can
>relocate quickly when they have to).

Magical units are elite units so I expect they'll be equipped with anything they might find useful. Certainly riding animals unless they have another fast mode of transport - I'm sure there's a school of Darjiin magicans who operate from moonboats.

Bodyguards will be well equipped soldiers of a type related to the tradition of the magicans. So the Comet Seers would have a bodyguard of Dara Happen style armoured cavalry.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/