RE: Imperial magic colleges

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_galeotti.fsbusiness.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:34:37 +0100

Mikko Rintasaari wrote:

> How many men do you people think there are a unit of Lunar magicians?

> Does somebody have "official" numbers for this? I'd also like to know what
sorts of troops the body-guards are and how quickly do the magicians move when they have to. Are any of the magicians mounted (I don't mean they would cast their spells from horseback, but that would mean they can relocate quickly when they have to).

Donald's already mentioned the Comet Seers -- when I wrote them, I wanted to give people an idea of what a Lunar magical 'regiment' might be like, and it is a decent model, but he is also right to stress the variety. Lesser schools may well have larger numbers of less powerful magicians, yet drilled to work together better. Others may be little more than one awesomely powerful individual and his or her (or its) assistants, flunkies and drones.

Some will move fast, others might depend on rituals and lots of paraphernalia slowing them down. Those who want horses will have horses. Others might travel in carts, moonboats, palanquins borne by bare-breasted (yet surprisingly well-muscled) virgins or howdahs on the backs of shaggy eleferrets. The same variety will be evident in the guards, from sturdy Dara Happan hoplites seconded from a Stonewall Phalanx or a motley array of personal hirelings to the magicians' cousins from the Vanchite 'old country' or brainwashed zombie gladiators... In short, there is no standard!

Defiantly unhelpfully,

Mark