Blank Lands

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 22:13:58 +0100 (BST)

Mikko Rintasaari

> > Peter:
> > Retrint, I think, is one of the Janubian City states and meant to be
> > developed as the referee intends.
>
> Blasted "Blank lands" concept haunts as still.
>
> Interesting solution though. An eigth city-state on the Janube. It would
> make sense I suppose.

When I first started playing RuneQuest, I thought that the idea of Blank lands was superb - after all, I didn't want to mess about with Glorantha and be ocntradicted by new suplements coming out. Then I set a camnpaign in Dorastor and had to write a load of stuff up before the Dorastor/Lords of Terror books came out, so I was contradicted and it didn't matter.

Now, I can't se the relevance of Blank Lands anymore. YGMV seems to supercede Blank Lands in any case.

In fact, come to think of it, I am now totally opposed to Blank Lands. If someone wants to develop an area of Glorantha as they see fit, then go ahead. Nobody will mind, your players will thank you and your game will be better for being totally under your control. It rankles when I see certain areas, such as Jarst and Garsting, as Blank Lands which means, unless the concept has been abandoned, that nobody can publish anything about those areas at all. Since both Jarst and Garsting are in Dragon Pass and near areas that I am interested in, I want to see more about them.

If that wasn't enough, then one of the Blank Lands has been stated to be Balazar. Yes, that's right, the same Balazar that featured fairly prominently in Grifin Mountain, possibly the best campaign pack that was produced for Glorantha.

Doe4as anyone know whether this outdated concept is still current or whether it has gone the way of Questworld? Or was that a bad example?

See Ya

Simon

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 180