Law and Chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:21:03 +1200

Mikko:

>What kinds of assosiations (read magic, powers) would you think the
>following pair has:

>Law / Chaos

Law has three manifestations - Mind, Matter and Energy. Through various permutations of these manifestations, one can derive the condition and elemental runes as has been done for the beasts in Anaxial's Roster p 209.

Chaos has six manifestations - Void, Entropy, Chaos (Anti-Cosmos), GorpGod (Physical Corruption), Evil (Moral corruption) and Seduction. Unlike the lawful manifestations, these cannot be combined.

>What about Law? As I understand it the Law rune is primarily the rune of
>Wizards and Makan the Creator, not so much sorcerers. Clearly holy and
>anti-chaos magic (for the Malkioni) stem from this rune.

Law is not anti-chaos. Law is used in the sense of a positive definitions that does not need to negate anything. If one accepts that Law is opposed to Chaos then one has become a dualist like the Carmanians and thus ceased to become a God Learner.

The Sorcerers use the Law rune just as much as the Wizards and the Church. It drives their very understanding of reality. Where they differ from the Wizards and the Church is that they have a different set of laws.

>I'm also wondering about vampirism and undeath. Do vampire like spells and
>mastery of undeath use the Death rune, or does one need an Undeath
>(Hunger) rune, as I've seen occasionally.

Vivamort's power, according to Tales #8, came from the Void. Not even Cults of Terror gave him the Death Rune.

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 183