Teshnan Otherworld and HeroQuests

From: Alexander Dotor <alexander_at_dotor.de>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 17:32:14 +0200

I'm currently thinking a lot (and writing a bit) about Teshnos and especially their pantheon and their otherworld.

What I found out: In the HeroQuest keyword of Teshnos is a short description of their otherworld, but I didn't find more information about it. On which plane might it be located? The Teshnos Pantheon is a Common Magic Pantheon, and they recognize and tolerate all three otherworlds. So it's not easy to put it in one of the magic systems. Maybe its found on every plane and every worhsipper is going to the appropriate otherworld. Or is an otherworld-journey very uncommon in Teshnos?

Teshnan believes seem to be tied very closely to the mundane world - wealth and success in the mundane world are very important things for Teshnans in my oppinion. This is also reflected by the choice of Common Magic Panethon for this culture. So maybe their Otherworld is mingled in some way with the Mundane World? Everything is getting a bit brighter and bigger during a ceremony and that's it; no big change.

And what about HeroQuests in Teshnos? Are they very common? I wrote something that might be called a Teshnan style heroquest and ran it on this years Tentacles and it was fun, but it was a very hard task to get it "feeling Teshnan" for me. Most examples are clearly Orlanthi style quests and they're tied to quests in the god world. And reading the concepts in Arcane Lore is for a newbie like me very tough :-)

There seems also to be a change for heroquests in general: If I read older texts there are descriptions of travels into the god world (incl. alien world penalties for wizards or animists, etc.), but if I read the HeroQuest rulebook chapter on heroquests this restriction seemed gone
(wouldn't mind if there are heroquests for all kinds of magic users).

Which brings me back to the question where the Teshnan otherworld resides ... maybe in the SkyWorld? I don't know much about the SkyWorld
(planets ans stars are there I guess), so this is a suggestions based
completely on intuition. Is the SkyWorld an otherworld of its own or could it be possible that an complete Otherworld is located there
(sorry, if I'm tossing around with concepts I don't fully understand,
maybe someone can help) ...

These are some thoughts on my behalf. Maybe there are other people out there who can clarify some things or make some suggestions.

Greetings,
Alexander Dotor