Multiple Magics and Common Religions

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 00:38:17 -0400

On Fri, 2005-10-06 at 04:00 +0000, glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org wrote:

<God Learners and Eurmal>
> >Isn't this similar to what an (un-bonded) Trickster does? I don't
> >have sources with me at the moment, but it sounds very similar.

> I'm even more convinced. The chief difference is that the
> Trickster does what he must whereas the God Learner
> has choice in his transformations.

And the Red Goddess falls in this how? Lunar Magic is certainly accessible in all 3 forms, but it doesn't seem to have an option to switch (although one might suspect the Goddess herself was capable of such a feat, I don't know).

<teshnos>

> The reason for making Teshnan religion a common magic
> pantheon is that Teshnos is what the God Learners would
> have called a mystical religion. How exactly the magic
> works at its more advanced stages is not yet known.

Now THAT's interesting. I really couldn't quite figure out why it was called a common religion, since mixing of multiple otherworlds in a pantheon's mythology is hardly uncommon. (i.e. Heortlings have spirits as part of their common mythology) The fact that the use of "common" as a stop gap for Mystical because adequate mystical rules aren't there yet is interesting.

I presume this is not the case for all common religions, of course.

LC