Temertain Philosopher King

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:01:15 -0700

>Developing the Kurash story further, as a Lhankhor Mhy Chernan Devotee,
maybe he becomes the famous
>Philosopher King that Twerpertain fancied himself to be?
>There is next to no information on the PK is there? Do we know if the PK
idea is a firm idea with details or an
>ambiguous reference?

 Here are some notes on Temertain and his household from the Seattle Farmers Sartar Rising house campaign:
 Temertain the Learned - Sage of the Alchemist, born in Karse c. 1564. Relatively short and balding. Moved to Seapolis in 1590 (closer to Fleet's discoveries and to God Forgot).
 Specialization is Brithini Iron Statuary (based on representation of Pure Forms) and analyzing the geometric relationships based on the ratios found in the statuary.
 Some understanding of elemental progression - not really a magician, just a "lover of wisdom" seeking the underlying truth of the world through understanding the Pure Forms. Temertain subscribes to a moralization (and abstraction) of the gods. "Poets have attributed to the gods everything that is a shame and a reproach among men, stealing and committing adultery and deceiving each other." He disapproves of blood sacrifice. Not really a Heortling (never went through the Second Son initiation rites).  Possesses 25 tomes in his personal library.  The Household of Temertain (circa Earth Season 1613)

Temertain is without wife or children, so his immediate family consist of just himself. .

Temertain has assembled a ring of advisors - the so-called Philosopher's Ring - consistent of six literate counselors (Redbird, Gordius Silverus, Orstandrin the Upright, Chalranna the Exile, Aransand the Grey and Dunorl the Leech) mostly recruited from various Lhankhor Mhy libraries in the Holy Country. They are who Temertain relies on for most questions - they are a very well read group. Redbird and Gordius seem to be the most influential. Orstandrin and Dunorl seem to be the least influential.

Temertain has appointed several folk to various household positions. Korlmhy Orlgardsson has been appointed priest of the Sacred Flame. Umathkar Goodcandle has been appointed Royal Librarian. Saronil the Fat (a wealthy Boldhome merchant) has been appointed Dishthane. Brenna Harnkorlsdottir has been appointed Watchman. I'm sure there are a handful of other Kingsmen.

About 30 servants run the Royal Palace and carry out the household duties (caring for horses, cooking meals, purchasing stuff, maintaining and cleaning the palace, etc.). Most are Sartarites, but Haloric and Lilith (from Esvular) are the head servants.

Temertain and his ring are assisted by about 10 scribes who handle correspondence between each other, with the Lunars, with the various cities and tribes, and so on. This number includes a scribe who keeps track of all household accounts, 1 who acts as a paymaster for the Prince, and 1 who takes notes for the Prince. Most are Lhankhor Mhy apprentices from Sartar, but four are Tarshites on loan from Fazzur.

Finally, Temertain's houshold guard consists of 100 fierce Telmori warriors led by Goram Whitefang. They outnumber the rest of the household and scare the willies out of Temertain (and most right-thinking folk).

This household of about 50 folk form the "government" of Sartar, such that it is. Fazzur actually has a much larger household.