Initiation

From: Mikko Rintasaari <rintasaa_at_mail.student.oulu.fi>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 22:14:20 +0300 (EEST)

Rob writes
:Please let me know what you think of this as an idea.
:
:The boys have their initiation, and the girls theirs. Now, for me, each
:child will get seperated on the Heroquest part of their initiation. This
:is where sometimes some women will find a call to Vinga, Babeestor Gor or
:some other non typical female Goddess.

<snip>

That would keep it simple, but the problem there is that the first initiation is the common one. The god's and goddesses call to their own later. The first initiation is the threshold of adulthood, and is supposed to be about core insights about what it is to be a man or a woman. the cult initiations come later.

:Now I know we as modern males may find this kind of coyness laughable, or
:not, however I have a hunch that the typical Heortling male will not
:discuss certain things with women or girls present.

I think you have this backwards Rob. The heortlings live in communal longhouses and keep lot's of livestock. There's plenty of material, in Thunder Rebels for instanse, that makes it pretty clear that children learn about love and sex very early and naturally. It's us modern humansthat are uncomfortable with sex, not the heortlings.

        -Adept