Re: Initiation for Heortling women

From: Stephen Tempest <gd_at_stempest.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 10:09:58 +0100

Alison Place <alison_place_at_yahoo.com> writes:

> Two of the most basic myths that we have of Ernalda
>are those that show her as steadwife for the Storm
>Tribe while Orlanth was away, and her Sleep during the
>Greater Darkness. [...] These, then, are the
>myths that I would draw on for initiation.

Seems logical - but then you'd expect the men's initiation to be based on the stories of Orlanth's youth (the wicked uncles and the Strangers' Pit) and the Lightbringers' Quest. However, it isn't - it's based on a new story about Heort, Second Son and the Star Heart. Something which would only make sense to Heortlings, rather than being a common heritage of all Orlanthi.

So, we have options:

  1. While the men's initiation myth is based around a unique cultural hero, the women's rites relate directly to the goddess Ernalda. That implies that all women from Sartar, Wenelia, Sylila and Ralios will share the same secrets and rituals, uniting them where the men are separated by their individual regional practices.
  2. We "discover" a new story about a female cultural hero in the Great Darkness - who may or may not also be part of Heort's story, but is specific to the Heortland and Sartar area.

Either alternative would work, although each gives a different flavour to the setting.

>Probably a gradual stripping away of all the
>support that she has been used to all her life,
>leaving her with only her own judgement to rely upon,
>culminating in the decision that the only recourse
>left is to Sleep.

You can set up a contrast between the men's and women's rites here.

The boys have spent their lives being supported and helped by their kin, but must now venture _alone_ into the Great Darkness and confront their fears and dangers face to face at the I Fought We Won battle. The secret is to discover the strength within themselves to do this.

Girls, meanwhile, have been encouraged throughout childhood to be independent. They can't rely on their kin to do everything, because one day they'll have to leave them and go and live amongst strangers in another clan. So their initiation teaches the contrasting lesson that sometimes you _have_ to put all your trust in others, and rely on them rather than trying to do everything yourself. The secret is acquiring the judgement to see when you've taught them all you can, and so it's time to let go.

Of course, not everybody takes the lesson of their initiation completely to heart. Some men continue to rely on their wife and family to do all the thinking for them, and some women are unwilling to let their husband and family make their own decisions (even if they turn out wrong).

> I think that only the strongest of the girls will be
>able to delay this action until it absolutely must be
>performed, because many will give in to their fear
>before then. Some may try to hang on too long, or
>suddenly try to take an active stance against the
>Chaos/Darkness. These acts mark them as unsuspected
>candidates for Vinga or a Gori cult, or as girls who
>had not been able to learn their proper role. By that
>time, it may be too late for them to switch initiation
>paths, and they might die.

Of course, if they go to sleep too early (before their children/husband-protectors are ready), they might still die - but in their sleep, without ever knowing what happened to them.

It makes an interesting progression. Girls who accept sleep early, putting all their trust in others, are destined to be "good wives and mothers." Those who hang on longer, preparing and training the men, will be leaders and heroes (but might have trouble finding a partner who can accept them). Those who refuse to go to sleep at all, but remain to fight alongside the men, are marked out as likely candidates for Vinga or Babeestor Gor initiation after their year of further training. (And will be shunned by most sensible men). But it isn't a "separate initiation path" at this stage - it's how far you go down the same path.

Incidentally, as a side issue, do people think that there will be as many men who follow Nandan as women who follow Vinga? And if not, why not?

Stephen

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 202