Re: Re: Nandan

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:30:31 GMT

In message <42B6D912.20802_at_weinander.org> Nils Weinander writes:

>I think there are far fewer followers of Nandan than there
>are of Vinga. Vingans are still women, in all respects, who
>take on predominantly male tasks. Nandans on the other hand
>are regarded as women in men's bodies. I think that there
>are more women with a call to battle and adventure than there
>are transsexual men.
>
>This difference is interesting, as there is thus no place for
>men who want to take on predominantly female tasks but still
>are men, who marry women etc. Are there no male healers,
>herbalists, visionaries etc. in heortling society?

I'm not convinced of this difference, I think Vingans are regarded as men in women's bodies by Heortlings. This attitude comes from their view that those who follow Orlanth are male and those who follow Ernalda are female irrespective of their physical attributes or sexual preferences.

So Nandani are more than men who take on women's work, they are followers of Ernalda which makes them women in a magical context. In the same way Vingans are followers of Orlanth which makes them men in a magical context.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/