Re: Girls and the Star Heart (Heureka!)

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:30:48 +0100 (BST)

> The first initiation for Heortlings is based on a
> mortal hero Heort, and
> his brother Hengal of the Star Heart.

Using the word "brother" VERY loosely (cousins, six generations apart), but yes.

>The second initiation is based on a
> God / Goddess.

Looks that way.

> Of course the beginning of the original initiation
> is about the values and
> culture of Orlanth and Ernalda, but the secrets of
> surviving the Great
> Darkness are mortal secrets, not those of the Gods
> and Goddesses.

Only a few deities survived in the Great Darknes, as I understand it, and even they failed in the end. Elmal and Vinga seem to be famed for hanging on longer than most.

> Heorts secrets are mortal secrets, and they apply
> equally well for both
> men and women! (sorry, I'm exited for getting this)
> So the ending in
> Greg's initiation quest fits perfectly for both men
> and women.

I've never seen why it shouldn't, myself.

> In the end of the initiation every boy or girl is
> alone. There are no
> friend, no parents, no gods. It's just you, and you
> have to face the Chaos
> with the secrets of the Star Heart.

Yes. Individuality being the core of Orlanthi society. It fits, it feels right.

In fact, if "worships Orlanth/Ernalda" is the definition of gender rather than its result, then at this stage there can be no distinction. "Male" or "female" is an external thing, a trivial irrelevance tacked on to who you really are.

Jane Williams