Re: Nandan

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:26:46 +0100

glorantha-request_at_rpglist.org wrote:

>Jane:
>

>>> Except of course for those who are absolutely,
>>

>>> definitely, women and proud
>

>>> of it, and their bedpartners (male, and proud of
>>

>>> it) are pretty convinced, too!
>>
>> But why would somebody who is "absolutely,
>> definitely" a woman be
>> comfortable taking part in the religious rites of
>> Orlanth the Allfather,
>

>Allfather? The last I heard, Vinga isn't Allfather at
>all?

I admit, it's the one aspect of Orlanth that I'd thought might be restricted to men only. But ST p.174 says '[Vingans] may join any aspect or subcult of Orlanth,' and then goes on to list a couple of Allfather aspects as possibilities. They are rare and unusual possibilities, even among Vingans, but they do exist. Of course, since the great bulk of Vingans don't follow this pattern, what relevance this may have for the femininity of cult members in general is, IMO, debatable.

>>> You, on the other hand, received the call from
>>> Orlanthgeek, patriarch of computers - so you must
>>> have a male soul.
>>

>Quite possibly. But my body is female, and that's what
>any sexual partner needs to know about.

I'm wondering if this implies I have a female soul ;)

But I don't get the impression that Vinga and Nandan are mirror-images, anyway. Back in RQ days, women could do whatever they wanted in the Orlanth cult (we now know they're Vingans), while men were severely restricted in the Ernalda cult. There was no symmetry back then, and I don't see convincing evidence that there is now, either.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic