RE: Gender roles and pottery

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 23:38:25 +0100

Jeff Richard:

> Actually gang, I think this is right. Orlanth does not
> provide men with any
> pottery making magic - that's women's magic (presumably with
> all sorts of
> Asrelia connotations). As a result, pottery making is a
> woman's occupation
> for most Heortlings (unless there is some local variation).
> And that's ok.
> The Heortlings are not modern Westerners who believe men and
> women are largely interchangeable.

OT: (I wish I lived in your part of the modern West).

I agree, but as described they seem to be far harder on men doing women's jobs than on women doing men's jobs. And that seems to me to be strange. Why shouldn't men aspire to be as good as women? Why should they be regarded as "really women" if they do so?