RE: Sleeping stars and sons

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:04:09 +0100

LC:
> That's a very good point. It is rather interesting that the girls
> experience so much more of the universe than the boys.

In Orlanthi thinking, girls are tougher, especially spiritually.

> > If there's (say) 1:100 chance of dying, that's pretty
> > scary!
>
> I am still trying to figure out what the actual odds of dying are,
> though.

Sorry, can't help. I'm just trying to make the point that even a very low chance of dying (in terms of clan survivability) is pretty scary when applied to you, personally. Much nicer odds have scared people off eating raw eggs, British beef, and driving without a seatbelt (picking the nearest examples to come to mind)

> That's an excellent point, and one I agree with. I think MANY HQs are
> about more spiritual/emotional matters than about going off
> and beating someone up.

Esp. when the beating up is only symbolic, and has no physical effect when you get home!

> Well, since they try and make Kallyr so distant you can't tell what's
> going on with her, it would seem that someone following as published
> wouldn't have to really worry.

"Try", yes. I don't *think* it's a spoiler (more of an appetite-whetter) to say that in Dragonrise, we're trying hard to correct this.

And when we asked who was following as published, didn't we get a resounding silence? Or rather, a list of just *how* everyone's doing it different?

> But I do remember trying to figure out if
> they were implying the two were lovers.

Yes, this kind of unintentional implication is what worried me. It was the obvious conclusion to draw, given the limited evidence. In-game characters may well come to that conclusion, and that's fine, but misleading the GM is different.

>> When I find out which bits are still secret, ..
>> I'll be in on the discussion, but at the moment

> > I'm just confused :(
>
> That sucks. Hopefully you'll have that cleared up soon.

Hope so.

> > Not so much has power over them, Ernalda would laugh at the
> suggestion
> > Orlanth has power over her. I think it does have an influence in who
> > they see as protector and who they'll choose for a husband.
>
> Still, an intriguing concept. Would you think that the
> girls/women could
> have some influence on this? After all, Ernalda has many
> husband/protectors in other cultures. All Orlanthi would
> think of it as
> being Orlanth, but that's an Orlanthi all. Does not Ernalda
> provide some ability to choose her own husband?

There's also the Ernalda subcults, many of whom are daughters of Ernalda and married to someone other than Orlanth. I'm not sure if this applies at this level of initiation, or whether it comes later, or what?

> (on surviving without magic)
> Oh, absolutely. But it just makes things harder, not impossible, in my
> view.

The old question - what do we mean by "harder, not impossible"? W3? W5? W9? W12?
Having been spending too much time around Kallyr, I no longer admit the existence of the word "impossible", but others may be more sane :)

Danar again:
> > And doesn't it make him a male heir to the Kingdom of Sartar?
>
> Wow. Interesting point, but I'd have to go back and look at how
> bloodlines are traced in Sartar. Admittedly, he would have
> some sort of
> claim by blood. (This, of course, brings up the question of his dad,
> which probably IS major spoiler fodder.)

I think it's probably safe to tell you that his dad is not a member of the House of Sartar. His claim would be by blood only, not by legal bloodline, and only through Kallyr. (She's got no legal bloodline claim, either). The only way in which his claim could be seen as better than hers would be in that he's male, FWIW. He'd also have to prove himself to be as good a warlord and as popular. The first he might manage, the second by this stage would be hard. And he's been brought up Dara Happan....

> Nope. Certainly not me. At least, I don't remember any discussion that
> even got considered for adoption by officialdom.

Possibly we should look back at it, polish it, and suggest it?