RE: [Bulk] Enferalda

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 08:29:23 +0100

> Have any of you worked with the Enferalda the Supporter
> subcult of Ernalda the Healer? (TR 194)

You may have noticed that I've worked with Kallyr from time to time. She has an Enferalda initiate follower. I've worked in that context. I'm still exploring that, and I haven't worked in any other context.

> What do you think the subcult's about?

"The Supporter" seems to cover it. But that's quite a wide brief.

> "Entarios is a devotee of Enferalda the Supporter, and is one
> of the most powerful women in Sartar.

Yes. And to my mind, that goes together.

> Enferalda gets the
> affinity "Endurance" which is described in purely personal
> terms to do with
> bearing heavy burdens, going without food, ignoring pain,
> going without sleep, remaining standing and surviving battle.

Purely personal? Try thinking about a follower applying those abilities to her leader. And to the rest of her followers. And, after a few multiple target penalties, to the rest of the warband.

Add the idea that the "heavy burden" doesn't have to be physical. Nor does the "pain", and with possibly a modifier or two, nor does the "food".

In the case I'm dealing with we get the great advantage of an 8W2 keyword, but all of this would work at lower ability levels, just not as impressively.

> She does get the Heal People
> feat "Make less tired", and she does get the mental ability
> "Encourage others",

Both good stuff.

> but in order to get close to the description of Entarios I'm having
> to assume she can pull something out of the generic Healer
> affinities like
> "Boost confidence" and "Reach consensus" that other Healers can't.

Think of it that she uses those in a different way. Everyone has their own personalised way of using feats and affinities, even if it's only in the SFX that accompany the magic.

"prevent anger, reach consensus" as used to smooth over any failures in tact. Automatic bonus to the leader's communication/persuasion skills.

"Boost confidence" will augment just about anything!

Looking at Ernaldesta, she's got "Boost confidence" on her "Heal relationships" affinity, and various things on her "Endurance" affinity that are generic enough to be an generalised augment in almost all circumstances. Both at 8W2. I can't think of any circumstances where she couldn't give Kallyr a +5 augment, and quite often it would be +10. And that's purely magical. Add in a few mental abilities and relationships, it could quite easily be a mastery-worth of augments.

I haven't looked at Entarios before, let's got through specific descriptions.

"When her first husband went hunting, he brought back fat stags in winter." Hunting in winter is hard work. A generic "endurance" augment would cover that.

"Her second husband never lost a fight while she stayed with him." "ignore pain, remain standing, survive battle" all help. Pick one.

"Her clan, where she has lived even since his death, has prospered in every blessing from Ernalda that she has called."

I'm not sure how one goes about calling blessings from Ernalda, but assuming it's a group activity, using "reach consensus" to support the clan, not just to get your own viewpoint across, would help a lot. Or this may just be saying that her generic Ernalda magic is powerful, because it is!

> There's no "Inspire others", "Restore morale", "Advise well",
> "Rally support" or "I believe in you".

"boost confidence" covers the first two. And the last. "Sting pride" added in will rally support.

"Advise well" sounds more like a mental ability, not part of the subcult, and in fact I can see potential fun in a Supporter who advises very very badly :) Do what I tell you, no matter how stupid, or I take those augments away....

> I'm thinking of replacing the "Endurance" affinity with a
> "Support" affinity,
> pulling together a range of feats that make other people's
> lives and magic go
> better. What do you think? Any suggestions or warnings?

I don't (yet) think it's needed.

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 220