Re: Expectations and what is there

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 01:23:57 +0100

In message Expectations and what is there, Greg Stafford writes

>I view the entire series as one book (which it will be, some day) and am
>presenting (too slowly, I know) as such. As scenario writer my job is to
>entertain the narrator enough to inspire and encourage her to run the
>scenario. This requires some suspense and holding back information until
>the right moment.

Actually, I think you are wrong here. "suspense" and "holding back information" do not inspire narrators to run the scenario, they cause frustration because the lack of information, which may have a bearing on the actions taken by the characters, means the narrator is hindered in their ability to expand on the material presented for fear of "getting it wrong" (Yes my GWV, but if I am using your story, I'd prefer it to vary as a conscious decision, rather than discovering a need to try and retcon when a future volume reveals some secret.

Suspense and holding back information are good tools for GM's to use to keep players entertained and interested, but they are not good tools to keep GMS's entertained. It might be amusing for a PC to mistakenly assume the relationship between Kallyr and her son is actually that they are lovers, but it is much more awkward if the GM assumes it and confirms it in play before the truth is revealed (especially if there is any importance in the fact).

--
| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Everything I tell You Three times is true                               |

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 222