RE: Expectations and what is there

From: Fr?d?ric
Date: Thu Jun 30 07:00:24 2005

[Fr?d?ric Cloutier]

Of course that would be a much better format. A single "Sartar Rising" book, a single "Imperial Lunar Handbook", a single "Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribes" 8.5X11 book (not sure about this one though). Things would be much clearer. Again I guess money is the real issue here. It is always diheartening to see so many published games releasing almost monthly hardcover, glossy paper and color books while a world of proportions like Glorantha is battling to survive.

[Rob]

I'm not a publisher so I won't comment on that, but the stuff we get when we get it, well, its usually pure gold. For example I picked up the Glorantha book recently, after hearing what shocking production values it has for years. But the actual material - I love it!!

[Fr?d?ric Cloutier].

I just realised lately that the reason I feel so paralysed about a yet to start Gloranthan campaign is the amount of stuff I feel I should know and yet don't. I sometime have the feelings the years (of history) to come are already written (so to speak) and that as a GM, I have no clue about it.

[Rob]

This was/is a common problem, so you are not alone, but...HQ addresses this in the section on Narrating HQ, (HQ p.177). The first rule gives it to you straight - you are directed to fill in the gaps and make stuff up as you go to suit your game. YGWV. It was a culture shock for me at first, but one of the joys of HQ is joining in the creative process. I have enjoyed taking known Gloranthan stuff (often from vague sources like KoS) and putting a twist on it. I often test theories on the lists and all the fine people are happy to point stuff out, give suggestions and sometimes throw the whole thing back at me in a way that means that their idea is the one my players will experience!

[Fr?d?ric Cloutier]

What is the fate of the Lunar Way? How will Tarsh be changed in the years to come? How will the Yelmalio cult evolve in the near future? For most of the settings, that kind of questions is irrelevant because I fel in control of the story. Glorantha is so rich and so alive that "being in control" seems to be beyond me. Glorantha evolves, Glorantha lives and Glorantha is. By itself. It doesn't need me...

[Rob]

I think you you feel more in control when you are not in control (how Orwellian!!). Glorantha is this for you, if you want. If you follow the Barbarian Adventures arc then you are given all the information you need to entertain your players, which is the purpose of the book. If you want use the book differently then, as I think Greg intimated, Issaries cannot legislate for that.

You can run a game in the Lunar empire, with ILH1 and ILH 2 just around the corner. Any questions you may need answering you will at least get an informed opinion here.

[Fr?d?ric Cloutier]

While in the 80's and 90's I felt I
could control the setting like any other, I know feel it is Glorantha who should dictame me what to do.

[Rob]

But the RQ2 stuff was pricipally about one area (actually more like one city!)

[Fr?d?ric Cloutier]

Maybe I should cut all links with the
official stuff (including the lists where people way more knowledgeable than me remember me every day, although unknowingly, how little I know about the world) and take back ownership of my Glorantha.

[Rob]

This HQ specifically empowers you to do (HQ.P177). BUt stay with the list and the official stuff. The lists are of in-estimable assisatnce to you as a narrator for reasons given above, and the Issaries stuff I think you would agree is fantastic (just hurry up MotW and Dragonrise grrr!)

Best regards

Rob

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 223