Re: Judge all from one example? - Enferalda

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:38:27 GMT

In message <200506301951.56055.geard_at_verso.org> Jennifer Geard writes:
>I wrote, about Entarios:
>> > The only clue I've got is that she's a follower of Enferalda,
>> > and that she gets mentioned on the second page of the
>> > Ernaldan cults write-up.
>
>An Jane replied:
>> You do know she has stats given on p20 of Barbarian Adventures?
>> And a short description on p17?
>
>No, not having Barbarian Adventures I wasn't aware of that. Is that short
>description the one Jeff typed in?

No, the important bit is that she's the Chief Priestess of Ernalda, certainly for her clan if not the whole tribe. Otherwise it's to do with her suitors - as a powerful widow she's a particularly good match.

>And what do her stats suggest about how she does what she does?

She seems to have developed "Heal Relationships" into an effective negotiating and peacemaking ability. "Remain Standing" helps as well given that Heortling negotiations tend to done standing.

>Remember that my group (largely) avoids the wrangles over narrative
>control by playing in a game set nearly 300 years before the Starbrow
>rebellion. Possibly as a result it seems I'm failing to recognise that
>certain character descriptions aren't there just as examples.

I think she's an example of what can be done with a character of that subcult rather than a typical member. The same may well be true of other NPCs mentioned.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/