Re: Expectations and what is there

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 10:11:01 +0100

Simon Phipp:

>Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_blueyonder.co.uk>
>

>>> Jane:

>>> Mind you, to put this in perspective, it's not hugely likely that many
>>> GMs will, in this particular instance.
>>

>Well, when I read Dragonrise, I was confused about their relationship and
>thought that they may be lovers. It didn't enter my head that he might by her
>son, as I was unaware that she had a son.

Oh, I agree with that - I figured exactly the same as you. What I suspect is unlikely (though I could be wrong) is that in most games, something will happen that will make it undeniable that that's the case. Though, doubtless, it could happen in some, and, as Jane says, not having a clue what's going to happen does make foreshadowing rather tricky.

>Since we have a very good and fairly detailed plan of the Hero Wars already,
>in King of Dragon Pass, why not just sketch out what is going to happen in
>the various stages of the Hero Wars, probably on the Issaries website, and
>let people know what is going to happen?

I think the Issaries website might not be the best place for this. After all, one *does* want to keep the players in suspense - the GM may want to know what's coming up, but ideally, the player's shouldn't. So one doesn't want to have the information too readily accessible to the world at large. As Tim says in a later post, putting them in a scenario book isn't a problem, because the player's shouldn't be reading that, anyway. (Granted, they could avoid the relevant part of the website, but when its up there as 'public knowledge' it will likely be less easy to avoid finding out somehow).

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 229