Re: Lack of Information in Sartar Rising Scenario Books

From: Martin Dick <martin.dick_at_rmit.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:42:30 +1000

>From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_morat.demon.co.uk>
>>Except he and Kallyr are leading the fight, it very much looks as
>>if they were both supposed to be thrown off the ship yet Kallyr
>>doesn't miss him until she returns.

>Assuming that getting thrown off the ship was the objective.
>Minaryth says that "Kallyr wants to kill them before they find us"
>implying that the plan is to stay on the Ship longer. While it does
>look as if Kallyr intended to meet the dragon, it certainly isn't
>clear that the fight was started with the intention of getting >thrown
>off, and it looks to me as if Danar was meant to stay on board even
>after the rest of the Questers departed (hence Kallyr doesn't notice
>that Danar is missing).

All of these comments, like Paul's above are indicators of why I found the Shiprise a disappointing scenario, apart from being pretty much a railroad, I finished the scenario having very little idea about the motivations of the NPCs and where this all fits in the big picture.

There is a lot of talk about YGWV and I don't have a problem with that, in fact My Glorantha Always Varies, but the problem with the Sartar Rising sequence is that not enough background information and arc information is provided for me to make a decision to Vary My Glorantha Logically. Sure I can go off wherever I like and end up with Gloranthan SubSpace Explorers taking on the Uruk-Hai as the Tower of Orthanc is dimension shifted into the middle of Pavis, but what I want to be able to do is take my group of Orlanthi rebels and put them into the situation and modify what's going on to suit my game and my player characters and still have it bear some resemblance to the ongoing canon arc.

If I have an idea of the overall story arc, then I can do this and that it makes it much easier to use the new material that is released in my game.

I have never found that keeping information from the Narrator in source books adds anything to my enjoyment of the game. A classic example was the original L5R game where they deliberately refused to give the correct distances between parts of the Empire, because in-game, the Imperial maps were wrong. Neat idea in game, but lousy idea for the GM.

Is there anyone on the list who actually likes key plot points being kept from them as the Narrator in source material and scenarios?

cheers

Martin

Dr. Martin Dick
Lecturer
School of Business Information Technology RMIT Business
RMIT University