Re: Recalling Orlanth from exile?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_sierratel.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:50:47 -0700

> The group also seemed to think that it didn't take any
> legal process or the like to get him back, there was
> just a time limit on his exile.

Orlanth was obviously banished, not outlawed (for the distinction, see TR 44). Banishment is for a specified period of time, and when it's over, it's over. You have your old status back.

As far as Vingkot "summoning him back", I figure that's less of a magical summoning as it is Orlanth was out there enjoying himself so much he really didn't want to come back - until Vingkot told him how bad it was without him and invoked that "make it better" spirit of Orlanth.

> Someone also asked:
> "While answering this, could someone also say what Orlanth was
> supposedly doing while outlawed? Which subcults would have their major
> myths from this period?"
>
> So while I don't know what Orlanth was up to (sulking in a bar?), Ernalda
> was doing a lot!

I figure he was out in his Adventurous aspect acting like a kid again (can a god have a mid-life crisis?). After all, he's free of responsibility, free of a wife, no ties to keep him down, able to blow all over the world at a whim. No wonder he has to be summoned back!

RR
C'est par mon ordre et pour le bien de l'Etat que le porteur du présent a fait ce qu'il a fait.
- Richelieu