Re: King Moirades' Empire

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_morat.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:25:32 +0100

I wanted to leave replying to this part until I had KoS in hand.

>Then responding to Jeff Richard,
>
>>There are some pretty good reasons for inferring a reconquest of
>>Tarsh, at least. Tarsh sits right between Holay and Sartar (which
>>makes it strategically important to Argrath).
>
>If the events of Holay don't refer to Argrath of Saird.

If the CHDP was presented to Argrath at his wedding in 1640 then it is unlikely that the Argrath credited with winning the battle of Dwernapple in 1638 is someone completely different.

> It's not
>improbable that the compiler of the CHDP should imply
>that Argrath of Sartar was responsible for heroic deeds there
>given that he has already implied that Argrath of Sartar is
>the responsible for the heroic deeds of Argrath White Bull
>and Queen Kallyr.
>
>> And CHDP has Argrath's
>>forces moving North from Dragon Pass to Holay - presumably moving
>>through Tarsh.
>
>For starters, the CHDP has Argrath's forces moving into Holay
>during the first (and IMO only) conquest of Tarsh.

On this you are incorrect, The account leading up to Dwernapple has troops moving into Holay. p158:

"Annstad of Dunstop raised the forces of Dragon Pass when Argrath appeared at the head of the bison army. When the giants joined them in Dragon Pass and obeyed him, them more volunteers took heart and joined the king. They moved north, into Holay, where the enemy waited for them".

But the earlier conquest of Tarsh with the aid of Onjur has no such reference. p157:

"...Onjur Fazzurson led a great body of dissatisfied folk in Tarshm and helped Argrath when he invaded in 1631 and 1632. King Pharandros, courageous to the end, remained in Furthest, valiantly and desperately sending for help from the Provincial Army or the Red Emperor. Neither came, he was captured,"

> Even if
>there does turn up further evidence of Argrath's troop movements
>in Saird after Dwernapple,

This movement is just BEFORE Dwernapple.

>then there is the alternative route
>of a Pass ruled by a Giant who fought alongside Argrath at
>the battle of Dwernapple.

Which would be rather an odd way to go from Dragon Pass to Holay - especially with a large number of Bison Riders.

>>Even in the worst case for Argrath, Tarsh is ripe for the plucking
>>and too important to leave alone.
>
>I dispute "ripe for the plucking" and I have never suggested Argrath
>leaves Tarsh alone.

Since I was replying to Jeff Richard with no reference to your claims, I am under no obligation to restrict my reply to arguing against your suggestions.

However since you dispute the idea that Tarsh was ripe for the plucking, I have to ask what force is there to prevent it ? According to CHDP the Lunar forces in the area were weak at the time and after the losses at Dwernapple it is unlikely that they would be in a position to defend Tarsh.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 248