Dragonrise and stuff

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:52:58 -0700

Hey Joerg -
 >>* Ah, but Kallyr and Minaryth are responsible for the Dragonrise, *>>* ultimately one of the biggest reversals the Lunars have ever had. *
>You might think way too provincial. For the Provincial Lunars - be they
>the Sylilan Satraps or the Tarshite Royal House - this reversal meant a
>weakening of the Heartlands but an opportunity to go to the top.
 Maybe for the Tarshite Royal House there were some potential opportunities created by the Dragonrise (although that would require an insanely optimistic perspective - within 5 years Tarsh is torn apart by civil war and invaded by Argrath). For the Provincial Government, the Dragonrise is an unmitigated disaster. Based on some stuff from Greg, it sounds like most of the key individuals in the Lunar Provinces and many from the Heartland are devoured - worse yet, they can't be brought back to life. And three years later, things get even worse for the Empire.  As for this being a Phargentite plot, I strongly doubt it (any more than Manzikert was a plot by Michael VII and the Ducas clan). Most of the Tarshite ruling elite was there - depriving Moirades and Pharandros of their most capable and loyal supporters. Fazzur wasn't there, nor were his ardent supporters - following the Dragonrise, they are relatively intact and soon challenge a greatly weakened Tarshite Royal House. Now, if anyone had a motive to cooperate with the rebels, it would have been the Fazzurites.  Jeff