Praxian answers

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:49:01 +1200

Malk Williams

>1. Moonbroth. What *exactly* happened there? I've read loads of brief
>descriptions, but have yet to read a detailed account. Who exactly
>fought on each side? Was it an utter massacre or merely a rout, with
>the losers fleeing in all directions? Was Moonbroth itself a developed
>settlement at that point, or did all that come after the Lunar victory?
>Also, did any Waha Khans summon Founder Spirits to fight on their side,
>or was there not time to do so once the necessity became plain?

The best description of the battle is in Borderlands.

         When the actual invasion began, the nomads were embroiled
         in one of their usual fraticidal conflicts.  Despite pleas from the
         priestesses of the Paps who gathered all the Kahns [sic et ubique]
         together, only the Bison and Impala Kahns would lead their
         warriors against the invaders.  In fact, the Sable Riders refused
         even to come to the gathering and showed up on the right flank
         of the Lunar Army.  None of the tribes realized that the famed
         Antelope Lancers were Sable Riders with close-clan ties to their
         Praxian cousins.

         The nomad host met the Lunars on the edge of the Good Place,
         near the Moonbroth oasis where the Lunar army was assembling.
         The Bison and Impala Riders had gathered Rhino Riders, Pavis
         Survivors, the Agimori, Newtlings, the Basmoli Berserkers, and
         the Bolo Lizard people to their side, along with some medicine
         bundles, a shaman controlled Oakfed, and even a contigent of
         Broos.

         Despite the power of this coalition, it had no coherence, and
         the Lunar army used its strong mounted infantry [?] to break
         the charge of the bison and rhinos.  The nomads had never
         encountered caltrops before so the Lunar hoplites could
         slaughter the oncoming hordes.  The skirmishing Impalas
         and Pavis Survivors were met by the Sabel Riders and
         grazelander and dragonewt mercenaries and scattered to
         the winds.  Agimori, Newtlings, Broos and Beserkers were
         crushed by the march of the Hoplites after their mounted
         allies were driven from the field.  Oakfed could not withstand
         the Lunar magics; his shamans died again and again.
                 Borderlands: Referee's handbook p7

>2. Oakfed. Are there any detailed write-ups of the Oakfed cult as
>applicable to Praxians, or details of how Waha Shamans interact with
>him? Any other stuff about Shamanic Societies in Prax would also be
>lovely.

It depends on whether you are playing Runequest of Heroquest. A runequest cult does exist in Drastic Prax while Oakfed is described in the Heroquest rulebook.

>3. The Block. I see in recent writings, that Storm Bull worshippers
>believe the Block to be the Storm Bull's Heart, where I always thought
>it was just a chunk of the Spike that he summoned. Are the
>Storm-bullers just deluding themselves here, or are both interpretations
>wholly valid?

Both interpretations are valid.

>4. Why was Jaldon cursed not to be able to return to Prax? Was it
>something to do with violating the pact that Waha and Eiritha had made
>with Pavis to allow peaceful coexistence? And why did all the nomads
>unite to frag Pavis anyway? It seems an odd thing to agree on when they
>are not in the habit of concerted action.

Jaldon was cursed by the EWF, not Pavis. The Nomads plundered Pavis because it was holy ground and they finally had a chance to expel the outlanders.

>5. Are there any detailed maps or just details of Genert's Desert
>anywhere accessible, or descriptions of life for tribes who were exiled
>there during the Lunar occupation? I seem to recall reading that tribes
>tended to spend years at a time in the Wastes even before Moonbroth, is
>that right?

There are maps of the Greatlands in Tales #14 and Drastic Prax. Most tribes spend their entire life in the Greatlands even before Moonbroth. The last of the tribes that permanently resided in Prax were forced into the Greatlands early during the Imperial Age.

>6. Eiritha. Did Eiritha ever have a direct link to the Earth Rune? She
>is sometimes described as an Earth goddess, but is not listed in Earth
>Pantheon lists, and does not own the Earth Rune, despite being a
>daughter of Ernalda. Was it sacrificed when she lent her power to the
>Bull during the battle with Wakboth, or did she never have it in the
>first place? Also, as she *is* an Earth goddess, at least by descent,
>is there any sense of kinship between her and Maran Gor, such as would
>permit MG to be an acceptable cult for a female Praxian to join, and
>remain in the Tribe?

The Earth Pantheon list is the cult of Esrolia where Eiritha is not worshipped. It's better to describe her as a daughter of the earth who is not easily reached with many foreigners equating Eiritha's mother with Ernalda or Esrola.

Seeing that Ernalda has been worshipped at the Paps, a female Praxian could join Maran Gor. But she would be regarded as extremely odd and possibly an outlander. There are native alternatives.

>7. Where can one find an in depth write up of the Paps? Again, as many
>non-Praxian Earth cults are found there, is Maran Gor one of them?

There's no in-depth writeup of the Paps and the earth cults found there are mostly Praxian.

>8. Praxettes. What fighting or adventuring cults are suitable for
>female Praxians to join (there are several women in my game group, they
>won't all want to follow Eiritha) and still remain with the Tribe? Is
>there any reason that women should not or cannot become shamen?
>(shawomen if you will) either via Daka Fal, or indeed Eiritha?

She could join one of the Sacred Bands - the Serpent (River) Dancers, the Sunset Society, the Red School of Masks, the Star Witches and the Wind Singers. These are magical cults with an elemental focus - their practitioners are normally part of a clan but they can be called to do big jobs for their society.

She could dedicate herself to a spirit cult, most of which aren't choosy about the sex of their worshippers. Dark Eater and Evening Star are perhaps best suited for Maran Gor wannabes.

She could join the Unicorn Women. Although you have to dedicate yourself to a light cult and give up sex, they can be beastly to men.

She could join Storm Bull. Most Praxians however would prefer to be related to a woman that ran off to join the Unicorn Women than admit being related to a Storm Bull woman.

At least two of Eiritha's cults have a maritial focus - the Serpent Guardians (fight with snakes) and the Du-Eirithans (fight with Bulls). There are also the Protectoresses but guarding the herd is for bores.

There are female Shamans in Prax, mostly though the Eiritha cult with some Daka Fali.

>9. Am I right in thinking that although Waha is a male-only cult, male
>Praxians can (and tend to be) lay members of Eiritha regardless of other
>cult ties?

Eiritha, as worshipped by the Praxians, is a female only cult. A Praxian worships Eiritha at some level as part of the Praxian _Pantheon_ but he is not a laymember of Eiritha (and vice versa for women).

--Peter Metcalfe

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 265