RE: Re: A before O

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:13:32 GMT

In message <003501c5a7e5$65cefae0$0100000a_at_malkhome02> "Malk Williams" writes:

>> Then there's the complication that written Hebrew has no vowels.
>
>In its most ancient form, no, which is why no one really knows whether
>YHWH should be pronounced Yahweh or Jehovah, as the Name was never
>spoken, but at some point (not sure when), marks often referred to as
>"jots and tiddles" were added to the classical letters, to provide a
>guide to vowel sounds. So my old A Level RE teacher told me anyway.

It's still a problem in modern Hebrew as I encountered a few years ago trying to reconcile English data translated from Hebrew. Maybe there's inconsistancy in the way the "jots and tiddles" are used or maybe they aren't always used because "everyone knows" which ones are applicable.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 267