Inside the mind of a warrior Dragonnewt

From: Andrew Solovay <asolovay_at_rubberducky.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 12:24:31 -0700

lamorak33_at_yahoo.co.uk:

> I got stumped last night by one of my players!! He attempted to mind read a Dragonnewt that seemed intent on his life. I said that he could see the dragonnewt eating flesh from the carcas of a human, and a glimpse of the Dragonkill. As you can see I was clutching at straws!
>
> Anyone got other ideas about what Dragonnewts think about? Should their mind be blank?? Unfathomable?

I think if he's *lucky* (he makes a good die-roll), he should get nothing useful, just some incomprehensible images. (Full-on incomprehensible, like, "You see four blue ribbons and smell burnt toast. Three suns rise and one star sets. It feels like you just woke up on the morning after you died.")

If he isn't lucky, he should have bad effects from the attempt, like other people have said. At the very least, he should pass out and wake up with a headache. But all the other effects people suggested are possible too. And if he fumbles? Gibbering insane, for good.

As I see it, trying to read a dragonewt's mind ranks pretty high on the list of "damned fool things to do". They're *alien*. Alien alien alien. You'd have to be very deep in some kind of draconic mystery before you have any hope of getting something useful out of the attempt and coming back with your brain intact.