RE: Yinkin, Dead or Alive

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:30:42 +0100

> _Storm Tribe_ (ST) says that he helped Orlanth in the
> Land of the Dead so that Orlanth could go on with the
> Lightbringer's Quest, and implies that that Yinkin did
> not go on that quest. However, ST isn't clear whether
> this Land of the Dead was the surface world during the
> Great Darkness, or the actual Underworld.

It does get a little more specific, as I understand it. As he was wandering the land, he came across "the Frozen Man", licked him till he thawed, and was delighted to discover that this was Orlanth. And yes, Orlanth continued, Yinkin did not. As I read it, this was in the frozen surface world, where there were still people, not the Underworld as such. Though it must have been getting quite hard to tell one from the other by then.

>From the POV of gaming, you might want to look very carefully at the LBQ
Kallyr does during Iceland. This looks like a good match to me, though quite how you'd fit your PC in is another matter.

> ST also places Yinkin among the living gods like Elmal
> and Vinga, implying that he only went to the
> Underworld to hold his part of Arachne Solara's Net.

P182 has him present for the Net, but then so were all the gods who had been killed.
And P185 has him the first to greet Orlanth on his return. Tricky. Maybe he ran ahead, and was sitting there with that "me? I've been here all the time!" look on his whiskers.

> However, at least one official version of the
> Lightbringer's Quest places Yinkin in the Underworld,
> nailed to the wall in the Emperor's Cold Court.
> (Nicely illustrated in _King of Dragon Pass_, by the
> way.)

Oh, well, in that case...! So he died, and then held the net. Like plenty of others.