History of the mythic periods

From: Simon Hibbs <simon.hibbs_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 10:38:26 +0100

> Malk

> >thought that a fundamental aspect of God Time was that events are
> >non-linear, perhaps even simultaneous, because there was/is no time in
> >God Time. Events falling in apparently impossible sequences of cause
> >and effect during the God Wars are a feature of that, aren't they?

I'd just like to add my own theories to Peter's excellent summary of the facts.

I believe that the timelessness of mythic events means that they did no occur in a timeless mythic pre-history 'before' time, but rather that they exist outside
time altogether. This means that it is just as accurate to say that all of myth exists simultaneously in the present moment. This is why myths of any age can be visited through heroquesting at any time in history.

The apparent history of myth is due to the fact that there is a history to the human
exploration of myth. In other words myth appears to develop in a historical fashion because Gloranthans project the history of their exploration of myth on to it. The Vinkotlings were a historical people that predate the Heortling and so the myths form their time appear to exist in a mythic era predating the mythic world developed and explored by the later Heortlings - yet the Hoertlings can still visit the mythic landscape of Vingkotling times if they know how.

I believe that the Dark Age corresponds to a historical period that happened within
time, and that during that time many new myths were discovered and heroquest paths created to deal with the catastrophic events of that time. When that period
of history ended, the myths still existed but were nolonger as vital for day to day
existence (except to the Trolls), and so were forgotten or fell into disuse, but they
are stil available to those with the right knowledge.

In the future, the current age of Glorantha will be viewed in a historical and also a
mythical context. The new heropaths discovered and myths 'created' will be added to the religious and cultural heritage of the survivors and will layer upon
previous mythical material in a historical fashion.

Simon Hibbs

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 274