Gerendetho Unraveled

From: Topi Pitk?nen <topi.pitkanen_at_helsinki.fi>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 00:45:36 +0300

I have lurked most of the past summer. But since I've been back on track reading the digest fairly regularly awhile now, I intend to stupefy you folks by pointing out a all new fresh gloranthan insight...

"Gerendetho is a 'Son of Lodril' with many names such as "Three-one"
and "Spear Shaper" and "Raiser of Hills". He is a result of Lodril's many, many dalliances with someone else than Oria, and this is all told in HeroQuest book and you 'all' know this.

But did you know who Lodril engaged to father the Great Billygoat? The lucky 1 was no other than Great Goat God (elsewhere called Ragnaglar). The fact was masked behind the misleadingly simple title "Father of men". My knowledge is solid, verified by at least known author Paulis Longvale.

Stop and think. What do you imagine "The Three Laws" is all about? What kind of "death" did Gerendetho escape - as his secret points out he did. Why to call him "Three-one"? The Unholy Trio.

The Tree Laws exist to protect Gerendetho and thereby his lord Lodril, from the Unholy menace. Rules form clear pattern to repel the 3 Evils.

1st rule: Obey your spiritual superiors. Exclude chaos - Rebellious Ragnaglar
2nd rule: Always choose Life.
Shun disease - the Misconduct of Malia
3rd rule: No Bad Sex
Forbid rape - The Curse of Thed

The rest of the evidence is synclinal, based on fitting similarities between "Father goat of men" and The "Father of goat men". Indeed, both expressions seem rooted in the same Great Divinity.

But things do bifurcate in the darkness. Gerendetho of Kostaddi is other than Ragnaglar - and is no god of broo'ly acts. Maybe once, before much humans around, Great Ragnar was alike. Hot headed, hot blooded, passionate. But he added 'Gla' in his name got that crazy glee in his widened eyes, and got into serious drooling problems.

So the happy fact remains. Gerendetho is not chaos worship. But it is a closer call than many realise. He is the she-demon that Lodril beat. He is what 'good' was still left in Ragnaglar when he Ended The World by Summoning Evil - escaped. Expression of health. Freeloader of love."

...should I summon a silver mostali to calibrate my brain functions?

"There is nothing like desire for preventing the thing one
 says from bearing any resemblance to what one has in mind." - Marcel Proust, Rememberance of Things Past -

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 276