LBQ in a freeform

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 23:39:37 +0200 (CEST)

Alison Place
> As a concrete example, what about the LBQ? Has the
> original Godtime quest has ever been completely
> written. If so, then of course the writer would
> really want to have that as a reference. It's one of
> the biggies, and presumably fairly complex, so would
> it be too difficult to run as a subplot?

I was (rather unexpectedly) faced with a second LBQ in Rise of Ralios, where even the first run a) had to be limited to about 15 minutes and b) had a prepared result (Harmast got an Arkat, guess what the questers got). There was no way to do the complete write-up for the quest (which was a side issue only), so I (as referee) and Nick (as primary quester) adlibbed from the King of Sartar versions for Harmast and Argrath. So did either of those two, btw.

> My personal feeling is that this should be an awesome
> experience for the players, and therefore not
> something tossed off lightly as a two or three minute
> ritual that they duly report to the ref. Yet it could
> be quite a strain on the ref to come up with
> appropriate narration and directions in response to
> the players' actions. Not to mention sucking up a lot
> of ref time.

Indeed. Either you do it as a centerpiece of the freeform, with other groups in the freeform playing out their support, and minor roles in the quest (such as Orlanth's sword) cast with characters, too, or you seclude the questers and rush them through the experience.

Harem Nights made the final quest a ritualized effort of all players, a very successful method.

> This does have a practical side, as Ian and I are
> trying to put together a freeform. I'd like to know
> the limits that other gamers have found reasonable.

Be prepared to have one referee detached for each major quest going on at a time. Be prepared to be surprised by the results of the quest if it is not the climactic item or a pre-arranged thing.

Get players involved as opponents of the quest. Preferably in more than ritual roles.

Don't do anything which demands number-crunching. Try to emphasize player input rather than player numbers.

Don't try to simulate a quest, it won't work. Few gamers are able to face their inner demons in a freeform situation. And those who are get involved or hit real hard.

Taking the example of the LBQ or the rebirth of Garangordos in Harem Nights, there are preparatory quests which you can run during the freeform or bring in as character abilities to be used at a crucial moment. This will leave players wondering what an ability "I underwent the Baths of Nelat" will do in the game, except at the right station in the right circumstances.

Emphasize whatever aspects of the quest you can do with your rules system. Alone in Hell during the LBQ might be fun to do with blindfolded questers, but the fun may be limited. Seducing and combating one each of the guardians on the descent can easily be freeformed, and should feature. Do offer at least another, hitherto unknown option.

All IMO and in my experience as overwrought referee and sometime player.