Move em on, head em up, count em out, ride em in, etc...

From: Malk Williams <malk_at_malkavius.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:02:27 +0100

Good Day Gentlefolk,

Fairly specific question for you all. How would you generally portray a Praxian herd raid?
Obviously it would vary from tribe to tribe, depending on both attacker and defender, I recall reading something that Sandy (I think) once wrote about bison clans just charging in, scattering everything and grabbing what they can, which sounds like quite a cool way to spend an evening if you ask me, but the sort of questions I am contemplating are thus: Are Praxian beasts ever fenced off or tied up when a clan is camped up, in order to keep them together, or is the herd always allowed to graze where it will, relying on the skills of the herders to keep them together and close by?
Would raiders use lassos or similar in order to grab target livestock, or rely on just 'driving' them towards their own encampment? I'd have thought that antelopes particularly would do their damnedest not to be driven in one direction, especially not by a charging herd of bison riders.
Would deaths (human or animal) be a common feature of such raids, or relatively unusual, given that raiding is a common part of nomad life, and that capturing livestock is more likely to be desirable than actually crucial enough to lay down your life over? (Defending one's own livestock may be a different matter I suppose). How big do raiding parties tend to be? Or is it a case of a Foundchild devotee might sneak in and ride off on a single captured beast (though I have difficulty picturing an impala rider making off with a High Llama in such circumstances, unless he was good at climbing), whereas a family, a group or most of an entire sept might launch a raid depending on circumstances and opportunity?

Incidentally, if you're wondering which specific examples would be most useful to me, it would be Bison raiding any other tribe, and any other tribe raiding bison.

Cheers me dears -

Malk.

Ps. I'm interested in getting a few contrasting views on this, as I expect that in the campaign I'm running, quite a few scenarios will start off with either "We were just guarding the herds, when..." or "It all started when we were off on a raid on a bunch of [xyz], when all of a sudden..."

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 288