RE: Priest Magic

From: Malk Williams <malk_at_malkavius.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:31:30 +0100

> After all these years, I still cannot figure out how priest magic
works.
> Do I have to sacrifice the power points to get the spells?

I assume we're talking about RQ, and I likewise assume we're on about Rune/Divine magic, yes?
If I remember correctly, priests sacrifice permanent points of power in order to be given a particular Rune spell in the first place, but then do not have to expend any points in order to cast it (the power comes straight from their Deity). To regain a spell after casting it (assuming it was a reusable spell), priests must spend a day in quiet devotions to their deity. Again, no more POW is sacrificed to do this. Important point, a priest's POW must always be at least 18, so in order to get a 3 pt spell, the priest in question must have already worked his POW up to 21. POW thus sacrificed is then regained in the time honoured manner.
Single use spells are horribly expensive in terms of POW, as you do indeed sacrifice permanent POW for them, and can only cast them once. Use sparingly. Initiates and Rune Lords can sacrifice for a single use of spells that are reusable to a priest, assuming that this is agreed to by a priest, but it doesn't matter if their POW is less than 18. One last thing. With stackable spells, like Shield, if your priest wants to cast 4 points at once, s/he must have sacrificed an individual point of power for each point of the spell. Similarly, if a priest wants to be able to cast a particular spell several times before spending a day in prayer, s/he must sacrifice for that same spell several times. As far as I know, there is no limit on the number of times you can do this, except that getting your POW above 18 and then sacrificing for the same spell over and over again can be a bit of a chore.

Hope I got all that right, I suspect I may be in for a bit of a ragging if I didn't, but since people have been so helpful in responding to my questions, I thought I'd chance my arm!