RE: Summoning ancestors

From: Malk Williams <malk_at_malkavius.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:35:07 +0100

Peter:
> A summon ancestor spell would be pointless if a shaman could do it for
> free.

I can see your point Peter, but a shaman can also discorporate for free in using "a complex ritual that takes a day to complete" in order to enter the spirit world and contact spirits. Finding and communicating with spirits is what they do. I'd have thought that spells that emulate these functions are for priests whose have not undergone shamanistic training and trial, to be able to perform similar tasks. The spell also allows the caster to get in touch with an ancestor spirit more or less instantaneously, rather than by spending hours or days running around on the Spirit Plane.

If it's purely a game-mechanic debate, it really doesn't matter, but if there is a good rationale for ancestor spirits being more inaccessible than yer basic, run-of-the-mill spirit, meaning that anyone, shaman or otherwise, would need to cast a spell in order to reach them, I'd be interested to hear it.

Cheers -

Malk.

End of Glorantha Digest, Vol 11, Issue 293