Re: Salt

From: CJ <cj_at_falster23.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:09:19 +0100

 Completely off topic, but why was salt related to domesticated animals? I'm curious now!

>That, plus the general fact that
>all societies have had to deal with the issue of salt from the moment
>they domesticated animals, makes me wonder where the Orlanthi get their
>salt?

As I recall the Roamn Army paid wages sometimes in salt, hence salary. Er, I was trying to think of Lunar salt sources? I can see the Wastes as having huge expanses of surface salt however, and being an ideal source. the Heortling Coast will provide most of Sartars needs I would have thought, and anyway I can also sea salt as mythic dried tears of the Godtime, so I guess you might find deposits all over the place. Salt has historically been symbolically linked with Truth and Mourning - a very Humakti substance, but I am drawing on Biblical sources, not Gloranthan ones. Anyone got any ideas on the mythic qualities of salt?

cj x