Dragontooth Runners

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_quicksilver.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:32:49 +1300

>I have Dragon Pass and King of Sartar. Are [the Dragontooth Runners]
>mentioned in any other sources?

A reference that you may have missed is:

         The War Teeth were scattered upon the blood red fields of Karnant,
         and the mouthful of deadly warriors pulverized their foes, and
bore the
         bodies of their victims back to an invisible maw afterwards.

                  King of Sartar p188

One could also interpret the story of Bostanisos the Fang as being a precursor to the Dragontooth Runners:

         This was a tribesman who had once sung the magical
         song which turned his family and friends into parts of
         teeth.  When the great dragons came and devoured all
         people, the clan was taken into its mouth but they
         avoided being devoured by the dragon which ate everything
         else, because they became its teeth there, and helped it
         to eat instead of being eaten.
                 King of Sartar p177.

So one could either heroically transform to become a runner or one could sow magical teeth in blood-drenched fields. I don't think they are Harry Hausenesque skeletons but humans with armour and weapons made out of teeth (so they would have spikey bits sticking out).

--Peter Metcalfe