Re: Re: Esrolia 1621

From: Donald R. Oddy <donald_at_grove.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 04:42:54 GMT

In message <4356E16F.40803_at_free.fr> Eric Durand writes:

>Michael & Susan O'Brien a écrit :

>> By ancient edict, women in Nochet are forbidden to gamble; ironically,
>> also by ancient edict, the Asrelia cult controls almost all financial
>> matters in the city, and gambling is in the crones' remit.
>
>And why not men to change? Good idea! This is the Queen's land!
>Do you really think, after centuries, that the good-thinking queens of
>Nochet can allow this irresponsible men to gamble?!?
>Maybe uz males, yes... But human males?!

I think the idea is that men are irresponsible and gambling is an acceptable way of them being so. No woman will allow her menfolk sufficent to endanger her wealth so as long as the gambling is run by Asrelia taking the bookie's margin everything is fine. Women are supposed to be responsible so they are forbidden from gambling although I'd make it a social rather than legal offence.

I rather suspect men are discouraged from learning about things like betting odds so they don't realise the poor deal they are getting.

>Imagine your male players in Nochet, trying to gamble, and this
>big woman with axes bigger than her, who pretends it is forbidden...
>for men! It could be a funny scene or challenge => They finnaly
>must find a female (or an uz?) to gamble. There is a compensasion
>for this service, of course.

No female PCs in the group? If there are the assumption will be that one of them is responsible for the men. If not, who's let these men in to wander around by themselves?

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/