Tr : How Issaries lost his second Communication rune.

Auteur: Christoph Kohring <ChOK_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 00:21:53 +0100

De�: "Christoph Kohring" <ChOK_at_...> � : RuneQuestQR_at_onelist.com
Objet�: How Issaries lost his second Communication rune. Date�: Ven, 18 f�v 2000 17:01

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:43:42 +0000
> From: Michael Cule <mikec_at_...>
> Subject: ISSARIES IN THE PALACE OF BLACK GLASS
>
> A Story based on an offhand remark by Nick Brooke.

Why doesn't Issaries have a doubled Communication rune ? Because he sold his spare one to Argan Argar !

> [...]
> know more about this Trade thing than anyone else in the world. You
> see," he added in a kindly way, "what we Trolls know more about than
> anyone else in the world is Eating."
>
> Well, Our Master swallowed and paled a bit at this but he rallied and
> said: "Ahhh, you see your Lordship, that wouldn't work. That sort of
> thing, taking without giving in exchange, that's the very precise
> opposite of Trade. And you can't control a thing by its opposite can
> you? Logical impossibility!" And he made a mental note to thank Lhankhor
> Mhy for the tedious lectures in philosophy he'd been made to listen to
> when they journeyed together.
>
> Argan Argar settled back into his throne and admitted that this might
> very well be true. (And for all I know now or Issaries knew then it
> might really be true.)
>
> "So what would you propose as an alternative. Because I am determined
> not to let you leave this hall unless I have in my hand and my heart and
> my head the secret of this power Trade."
>
> "Weeeellll," said Our Master, "I suppose that I have a bit more of the
> magic of Trade than strictly speaking I need. I could cut my veins a bit
> and you could drink my blood and have a bit of my magic inside of you.
> That would work."
>
> "Yes, that would be good," said the troll god. And then he added (which
> showed he had really been paying attention during Issaries' explanation)
> "What would you want in exchange?"
>
> And when they'd agreed on a price the deal was done and the power of
> Trade passed on.
>
> Now, young apprentice, for the last test of your apprenticeship. What do
> you think it was they agreed on?
>
> No, not money. You're right to rule that out. The trolls hate the bright
> fire of gold and Our Master wasn't going to lug huge amounts of lead
> around.
>
> No, not spider silk. (Though it's a good thought and we're carrying a
> good lot of it nowadays.) Nor honey nor royal jelly nor any of the
> insect wares we're taking back to Boldhome.
>
> No, certainly not their drinks. (I wonder what that barman up in
> Furthest does with all the Powzie we send him...)
>
> No, you have one last guess. Think hard about what you saw tonight and
> you'll know. For what he took away didn't increase the weight of his
> cart by a feather's worth.
>
> Yes, that's right. He asked the Son of Night for a favour. A favour to
> be done some time in the future. And it hasn't yet been repaid. So
> whenever you treat with the Argan Argari they will ask 'Is there
> anything more we can do for you, Trader?' And you must be careful,
> always, to say no, ever so politely.
>
> And this tabard is for you, the mark of a journeyman. Not as a gift (a
> gift would be against the way of Our Master) but as due payment for your
> years of apprenticeship. And now here's the boys back and we can have
> supper. Put your tabard on lass and we can both enjoy watching young

Cette archive a été créée par hypermail