Re: Illusion

From: Steve Lieb <styopa_at_...>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:27:22 -0800

> I was struck by quite the opposite idea: that the opportunity to
scale in
> numbers and abstracts many events and factors leaves much more time
and
> space for real roleplaying and much freer style of roleplaying.

I think we're agreeing in a real sense.
Here's the context I thought about (let's use a very common example): The players are the carls of a village, and are tasked with it's protection (sort of a HW+KoDP setting). As the DM, you could in your scenario materials lay out their local map, and say that the "wandering trouble" value is 10 (rolled once per season for a troublesome event to occur to the stead), but that "chaos area" nearby has a value of 4w if disturbed. Now the players could use their carl party as a band and try to reduce the wandering trouble value by winning an extended contest against it. Or they could try to win a contest against the chaos area to suppress it.
Basically, you could use the HW system scaled up to represent everything from natural events to political intrigue, to write the "backdrop" of events that the characters act in front of. You could even use it for weather.