Re: HW & winging it & rules questions

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:26:08 -0500

Steve Lieb wrote:

> I think in one sense HW *will* require more winging it by the GM, but I
> think will also LEND itself to such.
> (Contrary to RQ: "Well, you find yourself facing 26 angry pirates [that
> i don't have the stats for] so hold on for 3 or 4 hours whilst I roll
> them up...")

Or reusing the same pirates from last time. I admit, I've been using/translating Rainbow Caverns... I feel sort of weird doing it.

> So here's the first rulesy question:
> I understand that you can spend points to increase your abilities.
> How does it progress at the breakpoint: 18-19-20-1w-2w? or 18-19-1w-2w
> (in effect 2 steps, sort of...)

You pay for the 20. And you don't get anything for it... 20 still fails. My player's think of it as the entrance fee for another mastery. But that's just my own experience?

> Finally, I sat down and cracked out a conversion of a longstanding RQ
> character I had, using the 100 word system (I've been accused of being
> a wordy bastard, so my problem was keeping it to 100 words).

100 words is for a starting character.... And yeah, I have trouble with the limit but it forces you to think about what is IMPORTANT to the character.

Evertying you got from adventures or the like would be another couple of words bolted onto the end, I would think.

Hey, one of my players wrote his old character up as nordic verse but he's got too much time on his hands.

Jeff