Convention demo results

From: Theo Posselt <tposselt_at_...>
Date: 21 Feb 2000 11:47:10 -0600

     Hi, folks -

     I just ran a demo of Hero Wars at Dundracon over the weekend, and I
     thought you might want a quick summary of the reaction of the players.
      I'm sending this to both the glorantha and HW mailing lists, so
     apologies if you receive it twice.

     First, the good points.  As previously noted, the roleplaying was much
     better than in RQ, particularly as a result of the inclusion of such
     elements as 'relationship with village' and whatnot.  In addition, the
     magic is much better than in RQ, in the eyes of the players;
     particular points would be the fluid nature of Theistic magic, and the
     fleshing out of rituals.

     However, there were some issues.  The major issue is the accessability
     to new players.  The experienced players generally like the character
     creation rules; newer players tended to get a bit lost.  This problem
     carries through into the contest rules, where the experienced
     Gloranthophiles had a good sense of how their character's abilities
     could be used, whereas the neophytes tended to find it all a bit
     murky.

     From my viewpoint, if HW and Glorantha are to become more popular, a
     lot needs to be done to ease this introduction.  I spoke with some
     people at the convention who said that the intro box will have some
     premade characters and premade groups that the players can use.  This
     sort of thing is a good introduction; however, I definitely think that
     the Issaries publishing schedule should include a good, introductory
     adventure, that would allow the players to really kick things off
     after having just bought Deluxe Herowars.  New players can't be
     expected to buy SGU/Sartar rising in addition to the Deluxe rules
     without having really played yet.

     Regards,
     Theo