Rules, and their abuse

From: Kevin P. McDonald <paul_mcdonald_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:50:03 -0500

Hey all,

> From: "Gian Gero" <giangero_at_...>
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 16:31:30 GMT
>
> But I agree it is quite an unresolvable problem, with rules that claim to simulate the real worlds laws. I
> used to say, when seriously pressed by my players, that RW rules might be different from Gloranthan Physic
> World.

That is the rub, I think. Different game systems shoot for more or less "reality". In general, what I tell players is that game systems don't try to simulate the RW. They try to simulate books/movies. Most fantasy games shoot for a more heroic environment where the scale of attempted feats and their results is a bit larger than life. How much so depends on the genre, and the tastes of the players. For me, the image that springs to mind when thinking of the beloved "low-lifes fighting over a scrap of armor in the desert" is Fafrd and the Grey Mouser rather than actual RW low-lifes... :)

> From: "Timothy Byrd" <timbyrd_at_...>
>
> Why do I suddenly fear this is a step backward? To me, the whole point of RPG rules is to prevent
> cops&robbers arguments if the "Bang! You're dead!", "No, I'm not!" variety.

Yea, this is a real problem. I am personally very happy with the apparent level of detail in HW. I am currently running a GURPS Traveller game where after months of play we have only opened the rule books twice. Generally, a player says "I shoot at the bad guy!" then rolls. I look at how well he does compared to his skill and then reply something like "You got him in the leg! He is bleeding and starts to crawl for cover..." It occured to me last night that we really aren't playing GURPS at all! <laugh> The reason this works for us, though, is that we all know each other very well. We also know the setting pretty well (although some players keep trying to "scan the planet for life signs" <grin>).

With newbie players in an unfamiliar setting this might be different. Especially if they are young. I remember how competetive and generally disruptive we were back in the day. As a GM in highschool and college I was happy to have rules that I could use to reign in player abuses. On the other hand, very complex rules played right into their hands, as many of them were "rules lawyers" of the type you described:

> (Having played with people who would completely twist a D&D character class on the basis of a misplaced
> comma. I think this is a legitimate concern.)

Basically, too many rules are as bad as not enough. Exactly how complex the rules need to be is pretty subjective. One size doesn't (and can't) fit all.

-Paul

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~kpaul