Re: Creating (not rolling) HW characters

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 16:17:38 -0500

Steve Lieb wrote:

> > Nope. Mind you, I always found that the problem with RQ was the scads
> > of hard to bulid NPCs and the like. I remember going through all the
> > books and photocopying every character and organizing them in a big
> > binder to have 'Trolls at hand' or 'instant elves' or whatever I
> needed.
>
> This is a really important point, IMO.

I think its a *crucial* point.

> Note that RQ, since it had such work required for differentiating the
> 100 different details of each NPC, ended up being "OK, we're fighting
> Broo #6 again".

Or the Ez-Kwik Kustom Broos.... who all looked vaguely alike.

> HW, having far fewer details per individual, ironically allows you to
> customize the NPCs *more* IN WAYS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO GAME PLAY.

But, unlike D&D and its variants, they are all individual, or at least, seem that way.

When I say 'orc' what do you think? 1 HD, 5 HP, good with ketchup, no threat....

HW should, I hope, avoid that. That's what makes Glorantha so interesting -- there's a spectrum of progression in most of the opposition types(Orlanthi: from Stickpickers in the next vally to their terrifying Clan Champion. Lunars: Bubba the Tourist to Varius Flavus, Former Centurion turned vicious Tax-Farmer. Chaos: Droopy The Fledgeling Broo to Some Icky Thing From Beyond Hell...)

I like this. A lot.

> That's cool.

It beats an endless succession of White Eye, Slud and the gang.... (shudder)

Jeff