Re: monster observation

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:30:07 -0500

Steve Lieb wrote:

> How are "monsters" going to be listed in the sourcebooks? For example
> a pretty tough, complex opponent like a bad-mofo Vampire?
>
> Ancient Vampire (ala in the Old Sun Dome - remember, he was pretty
> feral IIRC) - Entrance 18w5, Drain Life 14w6, Stealth 12w3, Disappear
> 8w2, Speak Any Language 8, Resist Magic 18w3, Command Entranced Victim
> 14w2

Entrance and Drain Life would be something like...

Vampire Magic 18W2 (Entrance, Drain Life, Turn To Bat (+20), Turn to Smoke (+20), perhaps something like Stolen Affinity (various 1 time only feats), other vampire magic stuff)

The +20 is indicative that some magics in Glorantha (mind reading, shape shifting, Flying) are big ticket items and have additinal resistance. Killing someone is easy. Reading their mind without turjing it to toast is tougher.

> Allies: Bat Swarm (Confuse 16, Cause Fear 13)
> Pack of 12 Wolves: (Cause Fear 15w, Pursue 6w, Pack Attack 15)*
> * IMO I'd also allow the pack to add AP's in the right circumstances to
> him as allies.

Allies: Fanatic worshipers

Magic (whatever they get for affinities)

But remember, we're all reasoning without the rules....

Probably be MUCH more detailed. I suspect there will be a lot of samples in both the main rules AND in the Gazetter.

Oh, the artwork for Anaxial's is INCREDIBLE. Heather B's pencil and ink work is very dramatic. Some of the best Gloranthan artwork since KODP.

> Suggestions? Would most people flesh him out more? Less? (ala "Vampire
> 16w4")
> Just curious.

Jeff