Re: Some questions

From: KYER, JEFFREY <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:26:21 -0500

Tadaaki Kakegawa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last weekend I played HW with my friends. It was very fun, and
> preparation for scenario was much easier than that in RQ (especially
> about NPC statistics). That is very important to me ...
>
> Follows are questions I was asked from players.
>
> 1) How powerful Ability is? --- for example, one of Issaries trader
> tried to convince Humakti to withdraw from undead by using his Lie 10w
> ability. Rules says penalty would be -1 to -10, but it is easy to
> win a contest by 10w ability with -10 penalty. But it is not likely
> humakti agree such a thing. How should I resolve it?

Players always have free will. Now, if it was MAGIC, I'd think about it. The character might find himself agreeing and then follow the trader before coming to his senses... Well, no. We're dealing with Humakti and Undead here.

Common sense (okay, okay, its a stretch) should prevail.

> 2) Feat --- what is difference between Divine Magic in RQ and Feat in
> HW? Feat is instant magic like Divine Magic, or need ritual and take
> some time?

Um, there's really no comparison. A feat could be battle magic, could be rune magic. Its instant or at least, takes an action to set up. There are other, ritual magics that are covered elswhere (I believe) -- these are ceremonies particular to your cult, clan and history.

> And players must determine effect of feats by themselves? For
> example, rules has no explanation for what Truesword Stroke is like.
> So we determine that it double stake in next exchange if he wins. Or

Um, that's what you should do. I just let them get a few APs but, depending on the feat, it could be pretty nifty. Our resident Vingan LOVES the leap over water feat. Of course, the last time she tried, she nearly drowned (magic vs difficulty of leaping WIDE pond -- sploosh)

> should it be simple augmentation, as rules say "Basically Feats are
> augmentation" etc. ?

USUALLY its augmentation unless it seems to apply directly -- eg: Humakti Shield Destoyer Feat

> 3) Order of action --- in Group Extended contest, hero who has high AP
> can take firster action. If AP change in a exchange, order of action

Nope. Its covered in the example, I think -- orders are frozen in the order at the start of the turn/round/whatever but if the person is knocked OUT of the contest before they can do something then, they are not able to do something.

> also change? (ex. Hero with AP 14 is defeated in a exchange and now
> AP is 9. In this situation, can a trolkin with AP 12 take action
> faster than this hero?)

Not in my game, at least. Afterall, one should be fair to the PCs as well as that poor trollkin.

But your milage may vary!

Jeff Kyer