Re: What's up wid dem feats

From: Timothy Byrd <timbyrd_at_...>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:25:02 -0800

[Rick Meints kindly gives a summary and an example of a feat.]

Yes, you are correct that I would like to figure out the HW system. I understand that with the rules not published yet, there will be a lack of information. (If they were available, I could just buy the darn books and figure things out for myself.) If I seemed impatient, I apologies. I think it was just that the tone I perceived in Jeff's reply - whether he intended it or not - raised my hackles a touch.

Unfortunately, it's just recently that I've started reading the G Digest again, having OD'ed on the in-fighting, so I missed the whole GTA thing.

Thank you for the explanation. My thinking on it had been that a feat was like a spell in that succeeding in the feat gave you an effect, not just a modifier (edge) to some other ability. For example, I thought that Gerak Kag's leaping ability would be a feat - it would be opposed by the height of a wall you wanted to mount. In actual HW mechanics, then, would this really be an ability, and you might use an applicable feat to get an edge?

Oddly, enough, Feats seem very similar to something Steve Perrin is using in his current RQ campaign. There we have "secondary skills" (I don't know if there is even a specific term for them) that can be used to augment the success of other skills. So far it's been pretty generic, like using Ritual to augment a Prayer, or Martial Arts or Maneuver to augment a combat skill. But then, this is sorta-kinda a playtest...